Monday, March 30, 2009

My neighbors called the police and all I got was this lousy blog post

Up until recently, the house next door to us and the one across the street have been unoccupied. They've been this way for quite some time, but in the course of a month, both have sold and had people move in. It's nice to have neighbors again, but we haven't really gotten to know them very well yet. I haven't had time to notice things like whether they like to sit out on their deck, how often they mow their lawns, or when they tend to come and go. Likewise, they haven't had time to notice that some weeks we forget to put our trash out, and on occasion, our garage door likes to pretend it's going to close, then wait until our backs are turned, open back up and leave the garage light flashing. As a result, when our new neighbors noticed that when most of the lights in our house were off, but our garage door was up and the light had been flashing frantically for over 2 hours, they decided to be on the safe side and call the police.

It doesn't really bother me that someone called, because I'm sure they were just trying to make sure my house wasn't being burgled. I just wish I knew what the criteria or theshold is for "suspicious activity" these days. For instance, the officer mentioned that the light had been that way for two hours, so whoever called had been paying attention for that long. If you think your neighbor's house had been broken into, perhaps giving the perpetrator a 2 hour head start is not a good idea. In two hours time, the majority of my worldly posessions could have been carted out the back door and sold on the black market. (Is there a black market for old NES cartriges and a stockpile of Life cereal? I may never know) I just wish that if there's to be an unofficial neighborhood crime watch, I would at least know who's in charge so I can tell them about my glitchy garage door and how running the dishwasher and the microwave simultaneously sometimes trips a circuit breaker. I don't want to be trapsing out to the fuse box with a flashlight some evening and end up in handcuffs.

No comments: