Friday, January 23, 2009

Sonic's condiments

When it comes to fast food menus, Sonic's is more extensive than most. Not only do they have more drink choices than you can shake a stick at, they have burger and chicken sandwiches (which could come on either a bun or Texas toast), foot long hot dogs, corn dogs, chicken fingers, grilled cheese, and wraps. And that's just the main entrees. For a side item, you can get cheese sticks, cheddar poppers, onion rings, tater tots, and of course, fries. On top of all that, they have a breakfast menu available all day (although granted, most of the breakfast items just require swapping out a hamburger patty and lettuce for a sausage patty and egg).

With this many different options, it's not surprising that they offer such a wide range of condiments. Most fast food places are content to stick with ketchup, but not Sonic. They have a condiment for any occasion. The only problem is that they don't seem to be able to pair my order with the appropriate condiment. I think their general tendency is to offer salsa in the morning and ketchup in the afternoon, regardless of what I actually ordered. At any time of day, I generally find a peppermint and a few salt packets in the bottom of my bag. The peppermint is a nice touch, but I, for one, have never taken a bite of fast food and thought to myself, "what this needs is more salt!" Maybe they should stop providing salt entirely and instead toss in a couple of desiccant packets in those foil bags to keep my grilled cheese from getting soggy. Now THAT would be useful.

Yesterday morning, I pulled in to Sonic and ordered a sausage breakfast toaster sandwich, two jr. chili cheese wraps, and a java chiller. When they brought the food out, the girl was very friendly and after reading over the ticket to confirm my order, she asked if I wanted any grape or strawberry jelly. This was a new one on me, and I'm still trying to figure out what part of that meal would have been complimented by jelly. Perhaps it would been best utilized eaten straight from the packet as a desert? I'm not sure. I went to Sonic again this morning, driving through to order two jr. chili cheese wraps. When I got to the window, the lady handed me my order and asked if I wanted salsa. I'm hoping that I misheard her and she actually asked if I wanted "to salsa", which would seem slightly less odd of a proposition. In any case, I turned her down.

No comments: